MONTESSORI BEGINNINGS GROUP
Montessori Beginnings is a one hour discovery group for children under age two and their caregivers. Babies and young toddlers explore the Montessori environment designed specifically for them, while parents, grandparents, and nannies engage in discussions built around a variety of parenting topics within the scope of Montessori’s educational practices. The program is offered year-round, with eight weekly meetings per session.
Dr. Maria Montessori believed that one of the most marvelous and mighty tasks of the parent and teacher is to prepare and provide an environment and activities for the child to observe, reflect, learn and ultimately reach their full potential. CVMS hopes to support parents or caregivers on this journey by:
· Providing an environment that supports healthy bonding between parent or caregiver and child.
· Providing a safe and supportive space to explore the challenges and celebrations of care giving.
· Creating opportunities for parents or caregivers to build new and strengthen existing connections with other caregivers.
· Modeling and familiarizing parents or caregivers with the philosophy and practices of Montessori for both the home and the classroom.
· Providing resources and tools to assist parents and caregivers in supporting their child’s growing sense of self and independence.
· Learning from parents and caregivers and children in order to improve upon programming and serve the community more effectively.
Montessori Beginnings runs Mondays 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., for 8 weeks at the Chemung Valley Montessori School, with sessions year-round.
Fall 2019: Begins September 19, 2019
Winter 2020: Begins January 6, 2020
Spring 2020: March 23, 2020
Examples of weekly topics:
· Freedom within Limits
· An Environment for Independence
· The Montessori Movement and Method
· Follow the Child
· Language Appreciation
· Peace Education: Grace and Courtesy
· Routines: Eating and Sleeping
· Toilet Learning
Please note that dates and topics are subject to change.
Rebekah Schiavone graduated summa cum laude from Elmira College in 2010 with Bachelor’s degrees in both Childhood Education and English Literature. A native of Horseheads, NY, Becky has worked as a preschool coordinator, teacher, and in-home daycare provider before joining CVMS as the Toddler Teacher in 2016. Becky has two young sons of her own, who attend CVMS. She coordinates service projects throughout the year to benefit the community, including drives for our local NICU and SPCA, sponsoring families for Christmas, and a children’s clothing swap. She is passionate about equipping parents with the necessary tools to raise children that are independent, cooperative, and kind.
Erin Jones has an A.A. degree from Onondaga Community College and is continuing her education in Early Childhood at Elmira College. Prior to having 3 daughters of her own, she worked as a lead teacher at the Corning Children’s Center. Erin joined CVMS in 2016 as the Toddler Assistant.
She has a genuine love for the very young and cares deeply about their well-being in every aspect.
Montessori Beginnings Electronic Registration